1.6. List and explain all the basic electronic recombination/generation mechanisms. Which one is required for lasers to operate?
- Spontaneous Recombination
- Stimulated Emission
- Photon Absorption
- Non-radiative Recombination
1.7 Describe the main ways of non-radiative recombination in semiconductor lasers/
- A conduction band electron and a valence band hole recombine without generating photons
- Energy dissipated by heat or kinetic energy
- Non-radiative recombination by crystal defects, surfaces:
- Electron and hold recombine but do not generate photon
- Proportional to carrier density N
- Caused by surface, point defect, interface, etc
2. Auger Recombination:
- Energy from recombination is transferred to another electron or hole instead of photon generation
- Proportional to carrier density N^3.
- Energy from electron and hole is transferred to a third particle.